A lathe machine is a mechanical device in which the work piece is rotated against a suitable cutting tool for producing cylindrical forms in the metal, wood or any other machinable material.
Various types of lathe machine tools
- Copy lathe
- Automatic lathe
- Turret lathe machine
- Engine lathe
- Bench lathe
- Chucking lathe
- Speed lathe
- Automatic screw machine or a bar machine
- Numerically controlled lathe
Lathe Machine parts:
Different parts of Lathe are:
- Head stock: Head stock supports the main spindle in the bearings and aligns it properly. It also houses necessary transmission mechanism for different speeds. It supports the main spindle in the bearings and aligns it properly. It has a mechanism for getting different speeds. Accessories mounted to head stock spindle are 3/4 jaw chuck, lathe centre and lathe dog, collect chuck, face plate and magnetic chuck.
- Split nut: When closed around the lead screw, the carriage is driven along by direct drive without using a clutch.
- Carriage: Carriage moves on the outer ways. Used for mounting and moving most of the cutting tools.
- Compound rest: Mounted to the cross slide, it pivots around the tool post.
- Tailstock: Fits on the inner ways of the bed and can slide towards any position the head stock to fit the length of the workpiece. An optional taper turning attachment would be mounted to it.
- Main Spindle
- Tool post
- Cross slide
- Dead center
- Hand wheel
- Led screw
- Feed rod
- Longitudinal & transverse feed control
- Chip pan
- Feed selector
Machining operations that can be performed on a lathe:
a) Straight turning
b) Taper turning
d) Turning and external grooving
f) Face grooving
g) Cutting with a form tool
h) Boring and internal grooving
j) Cutting off