The various advantages of using the steam turbine over steam engine are as follows:
- It requires less shaft workspace compared to the steam engine.
- The absence of various links such as a piston, piston rod, crosshead, etc. make the mechanism simple. The steam turbine is quiet and smooth in operation.
- In steam turbine power is generated at a uniform rate. Therefore, the flywheel is not needed.
- The internal lubrication is not required in a steam turbine. This reduces the cost of lubrication.
- Steam turbine overload capacity is large.
- Steam turbine can be designed for much greater capacities of power as compared to the steam engine. Steam turbines can be built in for generating power ranging from a few horsepower to over 200,000 horsepower in single units.
- It can be designed for greater range of speed of operation.
- Thermodynamic efficiency of the steam turbine is higher compared to the steam engine.
- In a steam turbine, the steam consumption does not increase with an increase in years of service.