While applying lubrication to engine parts one should choose good lubricant to make the engine run efficiently.
- To reduce the frictional forces between the parts having a relative motion by minimizing the force of friction and ensures the smooth running of the engine.
- To reduce the wear and tear of moving parts.
- To cool the surfaces by carrying away the heat generated due to friction.
- To seal a space adjoining the surfaces such as piston rings and cylinder linear.
- To absorb the shocks between bearings and other parts and consequently, reduce noise.
- To act as a cleaning agent and removing dirt, grit and any deposits that might be present between the moving parts of an automobile.
- To help the piston rings to seal the gases inside the piston cylinder.
The main parts of the engine which need lubrication are: