The slotting machine (slotter) is a reciprocating type of machine tool similar to a shaper or a planer machine. It may be considered as a vertical shaper. The main difference between a slotter and a shaper is the direction of the cutting action. The slotting machine operates in a manner similar to the shaper. However, the cutting tool moves vertically direction rather than in a horizontal direction. The workpiece is held stationary. The slotting machine has a vertical ram and a hand or power operated rotary table.
Above figure shows a slotting machine and its various parts. The main parts of a slotting machine are discussed as under:
Bed or case: Bed or case is made up of cast iron. It supports column, tables, ram, driving mechanism, etc. the top of the bed carries horizontal ways which the worktable can transverse.
Cross-slide: Cross-slide can be moved parallel to the face of the column. The circular worktable is mounted on the top of the cross-slide.
Hand wheels: Hand wheels are provided for rotating the table for the longitudinal and cross traverse.
Column is the vertical member: They are made up of cast iron and it houses the driving mechanism. The vertical front face of the column is accurately finished for providing ways along which the ram moves up and down.
Ram: Ram is provided to reciprocate to and fro motion. At the bottom of the ram, it carries the cutting tool. It is more massive and moves vertically, at a right angle to the worktable, instead of having the horizontal motion of a shaper.
Table: Table holds the workpiece and is adjustable in longitudinal and crosswise direction. The table can be rotated about its center.
A slotting machine is a very economical machine tool when used for certain classes of work given as under.
- The slotting machine can be used to cut slots, splines keyways for both internal and external jobs such as machining internal and external gears.
- It can be used for shaping internal and external forms or profiles.
- It can be used for works as machining concave, circular, semi-circular and convex surfaces.
- It can be used for machining vertical surfaces, machining angular or inclined surfaces, machining of shapes which are difficult to produce on a shaper machine and machining dies and punches.
- It can be used for internal machining of blind holes.